Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update from Paris

I am writing this the morning of our extended layover in Paris. This 30-hour extended layover has been a wonderful addition to the trip. I feel much more comfortable with us arriving in Burkina Faso somewhat better adjusted, with knowing each other better as a team, and with our hearts and minds better prepared for this experience.

We arrived in Paris on time and without any problems. We had a variety of success of sleep on the flight from Susan who slept most of the flight to Emily who barely got any sleep. I was able to sleep about 2-3 hours, which I considered was my minimum to be functioning successfully in Paris. Getting through passport control was not a problem and all of our luggage arrived without problems. However, once the luggage did arrive I quickly realized that we were facing our first difficulty. The plan was to take the train and metro to the hotel. I did not see that as happening with the amount of luggage that we had. A big reason for this is that we are carrying with us a fair amount of supplies and gifts for the people in Burkina Faso. For example, this includes a large 20”x20”x20” box of medical supplies that I am transporting and a large duffel bag filled with gifts and French bibles collected by Laura. The result is that we had to book a shuttle to take us to the hotel, which was about twice as expensive as the train and metro combination. We will also be taking a shuttle back to the airport this afternoon. I am hoping that for the return stop in Paris in August that we will have reduced our luggage to the point where we can take the train and metro.

Much of our first day in Paris was spent with each other getting to know each other better with general background questions as to who we are, how we decided to be on the trip, and our thoughts on the trip. When we arrived at the hotel our rooms were not ready so we went on a walk through the neighborhood. We eventually found a nice park which amused most of the team and allowed us to sit around and talk. We made it back to the hotel by 1:00 PM where we were able to get into our rooms. We then took a couple hours to rest, shower, and slow down from the trip. This was followed with dinner at a nearby café, another walk and visit to a nice park, and finally some time in the hotel courtyard, where we were able share more of our thoughts on the trip and to take some time for prayer. After the long day of travel and time getting to know each other we were ready for an early night to bed. During the day we came across some small problems with limitations in the amount of cash that I can withdraw from my bank account at an ATM. It did not result in any major problems and I now have a better idea as how to handle the finances while in Paris.

The day ahead of us will be filled with more down time and then our travels to the airport and onto Burkina Faso. We are gathering together as a team at 10:00 AM and spending time in the neighborhood before our shuttle picks up at 1:00 PM. Then it is onto the airport for our 4:10 PM flight to Ouagadougou. We get in at 7:45 PM. I have received an email from Joseph, our Navs host in Burkina Faso that he will be there with one or two others to transport us to our accommodations. Obviously, this is going to be a huge day as it is the day where we finally arrive into Burkina Faso after months of preparation and planning.


1 comment:

  1. Hello there, Mega! (Sorry, I don't know your real name.) But everyone looks well in that picture! I am praying and thinking about you all from good ole' USA. :)

    With love,
    Laura's friend Dream

    ReplyDelete